Kanjo youth grab Nairobi’s Iko Toilets

A toilet at the City Park [Photo: Wilberforce Okwiri]

Youth aligned with the city-county government has seized the remaining four toilets run by Iko Toilets.

The seizure was the climax of a coup that started in March after Governor Mike Sonko decided to reward the youth with the 20 toilets in the city centre.

On September 29, six youth beat up Iko Toilet staff before taking over the toilet along Tom Mboya street.

The youth were arrested but later bailed out by a city MCA. The same gang went on with their ‘takeover mission’ and by mid-week, all the four toilets under Iko had been snatched.

Iko Toilet boss David Kuria claims his contract with the county government was yet to expire.

The police did not produce the arrested youth in court, with the OCPD Robinson Thuku claiming they had a copy of a contract they had with the county, but which was allegedly signed on October 1, two days after the six were arrested.

The new contract was not prepared and signed by the county’s legal department as is the procedure.

Iko Toilet boss David Kuria [Photo: Courtesy]

City Environment boss Larry Wambua insists Iko Toilet has a valid contract, which is yet to expire.

Kuria says that unlike the other operators who have court injunctions to stop ‘hostile take-overs,’ his was a public-private partnership with defunct City Council to put up 10 toilets, each at a cost of Sh3 million in Nairobi.

“It was a build, operate and transfer agreement. The annual licence costs Sh35,000, while we pay a monthly fee of Sh20,000 per toilet.

"Should the government decline to renew the three-year contract, then only then can they run the toilets. And should they decide to have them under private management, priority should be given to Iko Toilet unless I opt out. That is the agreement,” Kuria explained.

He says he renewed the three-year contract with the former government in 2013 after he handed over six toilets. He signed another contract in 2016 that was to run to 2019.

The Nairobian has established that the youth have taken Iko Toilets at Tom Mboya, Aga Khan Walk, National Archives and Uhuru Park.

“The matter is now in court, but I cannot access my business. I am charged rent and overheads, but earnings are going to unknown individuals. It is also doubtful how these youth were given a four-year contract contrary to laid down rules,” Kuria said.

Would you like to get published on Standard Media websites? You can now email us breaking news, story ideas, human interest articles or interesting videos on: [email protected]


JOIN THE CONVERSATION


next