At times they are branded the best dressed celebrity couple in Kenya. Other times, they are simply regarded as cool.
And when they decided to tie the knot in a private wedding held at the posh Great Rift Valley Lodge and Golf resort two years ago, it was evident that the showbiz fraternity would be treated to a real celebrity buzz.
Now, the couple is expecting their first baby and over the weekend, they hosted family members and close friends to a baby shower.
Settling down for a garden tea party at the Bedelle gardens in Runda, the couple went for a neutral palette accented with gold, giving off no indication of the baby’ sex from the theme colours. Besides, ten things stood out.
1. Only close friends and family members were invited to the exclusive shower that had no media present. Forget the blues and pinks that help you read the sex of the baby. The dress code was garden pastels.
2. What many thought would be a baby shower was rather a family affair, which the couple christened a baby love fest. It wasn’t a woman affair as it is the case in most baby showers. The love fest had Marek and his male friends present and active.
3. Although Sauti Sol members were present, they did not perform. Entertainment was left to the DJ and a young upcoming artiste who goes by the name Wangui. It was jazz and feel-good music all the way.
4. While her close friends and family know the sex of the baby, neither would let the cat out of the bag until the baby arrives in 11 weeks. By her own admission, Annabel revealed that she has no cravings but has been eating a lot of fresh food prepared by her husband or herself.
5. A renowned fashion stylist in the country, Annabel wore a custom-made off-shoulder crochet dress she designed herself. She opted for a throwback from the ‘70s that gives a distinctively bohemian look in a neutral colour and very textured. The dress was handmade by a collective of women who are traditional knitters called the Crochet Sisters.
6. On request by Marek, other than champagne, three South African wines were served; the Sauvignon Blanc, Pavilion Blanc and Kleine Zanze pinotage. These were accompanied with comfort foods and meat selections.
7. Courtesy of Pampers, the couple will receive eight months’ supply of diapers.
8. Next to the buffet, a cheese cart offered cheese lovers the chance to sample new flavours in the market including Gouda, chilli chive cheddar and bleu de brun, jams and crackers courtesy of Brown’s cheese.
9. Courtesy of luxury house champagne Moët & Chandon, the champagne flowed and to the surprise of Annabel and their guests, the company gave a pre-testing of the Moët Nectar Imperial, which was launched in the country yesterday.
10. For dessert, it was ice-cream all the way thanks to Brown’s cheese who have introduced premium all natural ice-cream into the market. From a wide selection of flavours, it is the raspberry chocolate ice-cream that made it special. Why? It was made for the first time ever courtesy of Annabel.