DP Ruto’s message on death of Annex office guard, Sergeant Kipyegon Kenei

The late Sergeant Kipyegon Kenei and Deputy President William Ruto [Photo: Sammy Omingo/Courtesy]

Deputy President William Ruto has eulogized Police Sergeant Kipyegon Kenei, who at the time of his death was attached to his Harambee House Annex office, as a disciplined officer.

Expressing his sadness in Kenei’s passing, DP Ruto, in a tweet, called on the authorities to expedite investigations as to the circumstance that led to the sergeant’s passing.

“Deeply saddened by the death of Police Sargent Kipyegon Kenei who worked in my Harambee House Annex Office. Kenei was a disciplined young police officer. I urge the relevant authorities to conduct a thorough investigation to ascertain the circumstances surrounding his death,” tweeted DP Ruto.

According to DP Ruto’s Communication Secretary David Mugonyi, Kenei had not reported to work since Wednesday, February 19, and was expected to record a statement alongside his colleagues to the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) in the Sh39.5 billion fake arms probe.

Read Also: Rashid Echesa - He still got the CS job even without a primary certificate

Kenei, 33, and five other AP officers were on duty at Annex, when former Cabinet Secretary Rashid Echesa and two persons arrived on February 13 and purportedly signed a “contract” for the supply of military hardware.

“One of the security officers on duty on Thursday, February 13, when former Cabinet Secretary Rashid Echesa and two foreigners visited the office of the Deputy President and who was required to record a statement among others has not done so and neither has he reported for duty since Wednesday, February 19, the day he was scheduled to appear before the DCI. A search for the officer has been launched. So far five security officers have recorded statements,” read the statement.

When his body was found at 4 pm on Thursday at his house in Villa Franca Estate, Imara Daima, by neighbours who had also raised alarm over his whereabouts, Kenei reportedly had a bullet wound in the head, according to witnesses.

Read Also: Fake arms deal: Ruto says arms dealers breached his security

A gun lay next to the body of the father of two, who according to family, was to walk down the aisle in August. The body was taken to the City Mortuary. 

In a letter dated February 18 by the DP’s Chief of Staff Ken Osinde and addressed to the police chief, Inspector General of Police Hillary Mutyambai, the identity, immigration status and mission of the foreigners needs to be established.

“This is a matter of grave concern to the security of the deputy president and other users of Harambee House Annex,” read the letter in part.

Read Also: Missing Ruto office guard in Sh39b fake arms probe found dead

Echesa was arrested following a complaint by the two gun dealers from the US and Poland-based Eco Advanced Technologies LLC that the former CS had promised to use his influence to help them secure a security tender and had swindled them Sh11.5 million in ‘consultancy fees’.

The former CS and three co-accused; Daniel Otieno Omondi, Kennedy Oyoo Mboya, and Clifford Okoth pleaded not guilty to 12 counts of fraud and was granted a Sh1million cash bail.

According to Echesa, his arrest was politically motivated and linked to his stance on the Building Bridges Initiative (BBI).