Murder case against widow of slain Kiiru Boys principal is closed

Jane Muthoni in court.

[email protected]

The prosecution on Tuesday closed the murder trial of a widow accused of killing her husband.

The case was closed after the testimony of the investigating officer who demonstrated the connection between the widow, Jane Muthoni, who is a former Icaciri Principal, and Isaac Ng’ang’a alias Gikuyu, the alleged killers.

The two were charged with the murder of Kiiru Boys Principal Solomon Mwangi.

Muthoni and Gikuyu were alleged to have committed the offence on diverse dates between November 6 and November 11, 2016 at Karakuta Coffee Estate in Juja sub-county, Kiambu County.

Even with the closure, mystery continues to surround the case as one of the men believed to have been involved in the murder remains a fugitive.

Nelson Njiru remains an escapee, his whereabouts yet to be known to date since the murder of Mwangi three years ago.

Njiru, with others, according to the investigating officer Clement Mwangi, had recorded their statement as at November 15, 2016.

He allegedly recorded the statement voluntarily at Kiambu DCI offices before the case was handed over to officers from DCI headquarters in Nairobi.

Mwangi said after taking over the case he summoned Njiru to their offices but he never turned up.

READ ALSO: Was Kiiru principal murdered over 'mpango wa kando'?

Mwangi, with other three officers, joined with an informer who knew Njiru well, left their office to trace Njiru, a man they had never met, and who they relied on the agent to identify.

“I summoned him to my office, if I can recall, I called him personally and he said he was in Embu, and I told him to come to our office in November 2016,” Mwangi said.

Mwangi had difficulty explaining why they went after the man instead of informing DCI officers at Karatina.

State Counsel Catherine Mwaniki said they had intended to call 38 witnesses but decided to close it after the 21 testified.

“We believe the evidence by the 21 is enough. We surrender the rest to the defence if they wish to call. We plead with the court to find that a prima-facie case has been established against the two,” said the prosecutor.

The prosecutor asked the court to allow them a week to file their submissions, but lawyer Francis Njanja, representing Muthoni and Gikuyu, sought three weeks.

Muthoni, who got a chance to address the court, pleaded with the court to issue an order that she be escorted to bank to check whether she could get some money in her Cooperative and Equity bank accounts.

She sought to be escorted to Icaciri Secondary School, where she was the principal, so she could clear with the institution. She said she cleared from the school house, but was yet to clear with the office.

“I wish to be escorted to the bank to check whether I can get some money to assist my children, they are suffering,” she said.

She also asked the court to order the police to return her documents and items taken during investigations.