Empire star Jussie Smollett charged with faking racist attack

Jussie [Photo: Courtesy]

Chicago Police have named Empire star Jussie Smollett as a 'suspect' after he was accused of filing a "false police report".

The 36-year-old actor had previously alleged that he was the victim of a racially motivated and homophobic attack but in now seems that police have taken the investigation in a different direction.

Jussie had claimed that he was beaten and had a noose looped around his neck.

However, a spokesman for the Chicago Police Department has now confirmed the star is being treated as a suspect in the case and officers will present evidence to a grand jury.

On January 29, Jussie told police he was attacked by two masked men when returning home from a Subway at 2am.

He said he was forced to flee and taken to hospital and also claimed racist and homophobic insults were hurled at him.

Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi tweeted an update on the progress of the investigation, writing: "Case Update: Jussie Smollett is now officially classified as a suspect in a criminal investigation by #ChicagoPolice for filing a false police report (Class 4 felony).

"Detectives are currently presenting evidence before a Cook County Grand Jury."

Jussie said he was attacked by two masked men who yelled "this is MAGA country" during their alleged assault.

His legal representatives had responded to prior claims that the attack may have been orchestrated.

They said in a statement: "Jussie Smollett is angered and devastated by recent reports that the perpetrators are individuals he is familiar with.

"He has now been further victimised by claims attributed to these alleged perpetrators that Jussie played a role in his own attack.

"Nothing is further from the truth and anyone claiming otherwise is lying."


JOIN THE CONVERSATION


next