Drama as murder suspect asks judge for fare back home

Photo:Courtesy

A man who has been battling murder charges for close to eight years left the people in courtroom in stitches after he asked the Judge to make arrangements for his fare.

Instead of appreciating the fact that his capital offence charges had been dropped, George Otieno Gare was keen to know which means he shall use to travel to his interior part of his Homa Bay rural home.

Otieno was alleged to have murdered Mokta Andambi by strangling him on May 20, 2011 at Lukoye Estate Mumias sub-county, a charge has consistently denied since his first appearance in court.

He told the court that even if he is released, he has no means to get home since he has been incarcerated making it difficult for him to get fare.

“Your honour, I would like that you order on record that I be given sufficient fare to take me to my home. Even if I am released now, I don’t have anyone I know in Kakamega so I shall just be stranded in town,” said the freed man.

State Counsel Samson Ng’etich asked the court to direct the accused to liaise with the officer in charge at Kakamega Main Prison for such arrangements.

In his judgement, Judge William Musyoka noted there was insufficient evidence on record to warrant a conviction.

The prosecution was forced to close the case prematurely following frequent adjournments with only two witnesses testifying.

Otieno successfully applied to have the case granted a last adjournment on September 9 after he told the court the prosecution failed to present their witnesses, an indication they had lost interest in the case.

The judge ordered Otieno to be released immediately unless otherwise lawfully held.

Would you like to get published on Standard Media websites? You can now email us breaking news, story ideas, human interest articles or interesting videos on: [email protected]


JOIN THE CONVERSATION


next