KCSE candidate dies after consuming ‘lab methanol’

“We are calling on any student who may have consumed the substance to immediately come forward"

A Kenya Certificate of Secondary School Examination candidate from Barsumat Secondary School in Arror Marakwet West Sub County has died, while his colleague in Form Three lost his sight after consuming an alcoholic substance.

The students are said to have been excited about chemical substances meant for exams, which they likened to chang’aa, a local brew and consumed.

County Executive Commitee member in charge of health Kiprono Chepkok said the student who survived, and is undergoing treatment at the Iten county referral hospital, told health personnel he had consumed methanol.

“We are calling on any student who may have consumed the substance to immediately come forward for detoxification,” he said.

Would you like to get published on Standard Media websites? You can now email us breaking news, story ideas, human interest articles or interesting videos on: [email protected]


JOIN THE CONVERSATION


next